Cradle Cap Oil is a natural and gentle cleansing oil for babies designed to soothe, nourish, and hydrate an infant’s delicate scalp.
This oil is among the best products on the market, perfect for removing the the thick waxy buildup on an infant’s scalp while still being gentle and safe enough for your newborn.
In this post, we’ll discuss the benefits of Cradle Cap Cleansing Oil, why it’s the ideal solution for cradle cap, and how it can help parents keep their baby’s scalp healthy and clean.
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I get a small commission for purchases made from Amazon.com through links in this post. Learn more about our affiliate disclaimer here.
What is Cradle Cap?
Have you ever seen these crusting white or yellowish scales on a baby’s scalp especially on the head?
Well, that’s the cradle cap.
Cradle cap may occur due to excessive oil production by skin glands surrounding hair follicles.
The main symptom is dry or wet scales on the scalp that can persist for weeks.
However, this condition usually clears up within a few months.
Why Choose Cradle Cap Oil?
Most parents may wonder if the condition can clear itself, why use a cradle cap oil?
Using a cradle cap oil plus a mild shampoo can help loosen and remove the scales, thus reducing the severity of the cradle cap.
You may not want to use the oil if your baby only experiences a mild cradle cap. But in some instances, the Cradle cap may cause oily scaly patches on a baby’s scalp, thus preventing proper aeration on the scalp.
These white or yellow greasy patches might also spread to other body parts like the face, thus becoming bothersome.
Instead of applying medicated ointments, why not start with a mild cradle cap oil?
7 Best Cradle Cap Oil for Babies
1. Babyganics Infant Cradle Cap Oil, Non-Allergenic
Babyganics cradle cap oil is Pediatrician and dermatologist-tested product that helps remove flakes associated with cradle cap. The oil comes with an easy to use scrubber head built into the packaging.
- sweet almond oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, olive fruit oil
- Made without parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, petrolatum, sulfates, fragrances, or dyes
- comes with built-in bristles brush
- The pediatrician and dermatologist tested
- Some parents feel like its too oily
How to use Babyganics cradle cap oil
- Applying the oil and gently massage it on your baby’s scalp using the scrubber head.
- Let the oil settle on the scalp for about 30 minutes or more.
- Gently wash your baby’s head with a mild or cradle cap shampoo.
- Use a fine tooth comb to remove the loosened flakes when wet carefully
2. Ladibugs Cradle Cap Serum & Fine-Toothed Comb
Ladibugs Cradle Cap is a Remedy Kit designed for thorough baby cradle cap care. The kit includes a serum for skin soothing and a brush for flake removal.
- Dimethicone, Vitis Vinifera (Grape Seed) Oil, and Peppermint Oil
- The product contains a natural serum’s ingredient for skin soothing
- This product is free of all sulfates, gluten, parabens, and phthalates.
- The formula is safe for all babies, toddlers, and newborns
- Includes a comb that removes cradle cap flakes without irritating or scratching the skin or scalp.
- Comes with an easy-to-hold, fine-toothed comb which is double-sided with different-sized teeth.
- Not suitable for sensitive skin as some parents complain of mild irritation on the baby’s skin
How to use Ladibugs Cradle Cap serum
- Apply serum to dry hair and massage it into the scalp.
- Let the solution sit for 10 minutes,
- and gently comb out the softened scales.
- You may need to repeat this process up to 3 times per week for a few weeks.
3. Organic, Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for Cradle Cap
Studies show that coconut oil contains hydrating and moisturizing properties that can help reduce itchiness and dryness on the baby’s skin. Always try to choose virgin coconut oil whenever you buy it for your baby.
Virgin oils come straight from fresh coconuts and may be less processed with few additives compared to other oils. Nutiva organic virgin coconuts adhere to USDA-certified organic and non-GMO guidelines.
- Unrefined virgin coconut oil
- It provides nutrient-rich hydration as a natural moisturizer for cradle cap
- All-natural cold press coconut
- Not recommended if your baby has a coconut allergy
How to use coconut oil for cradle cap
- Warm a small amount of coconut oil in a bowl until it melts
- Apply a layer of coconut oil to your baby’s scalp.
- gently massage the oil for about a minute
- Let the oil soak in for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Wash your baby’s hair with gentle baby shampoo.
4.Colief Baby Scalp Oil
Colief Baby Scalp Oil contains plant-based ingredients for soothing and nourishing your baby’s scalp. Although not toiler made for cradle cap treatment, this oil can lessen the severity of itchy, dry skin thus making it suitable for your baby’s cradle cap care.
- Rosehip Oil, Chamomile, and naturally sourced D-Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
- Made from natural ingredients
- Gentle enough to use from birth,
- It helps soothe the baby’s itchy, flaky scalp
- Absorbs quickly into the skin and scalp
- The product is free from Parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, petrolatum, sulfates, and dyes.
- Some parents feel it’s excellent for dry skin but not cradle cap
- Some people think it has a strong scent
How to use Colief Baby Scalp Oil
Pour some oil into your hands or directly onto your baby’s scalp. Gently massage the oil into the scalp to moisturize dry, flaky skin. You could also use a soft brush on the scalp to help remove flaky skin after a few minutes.
5. Ora’s Natural Calendula Oil for Baby
Ora’s unscented Baby Oil is a deep moisturizer of natural, vegan Baby Oil. Ora’s is a multipurpose baby oil that can soothe and support irritated skin like eczema and cradle cap.
It contains Calendula oil with antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that might make it useful in soothing eczema and relieving rash in babies.
- Organic Calendula& Licorice Root Only
- Herbal oil
- Free from mineral oil, parabens, and synthetics.
- Gentle and deeply moisturizing, perfect for after bath and infant massage.
- Multipurpose and can be used for other rashes and dry skin too.
- Some people dislike the smell
How to use this oil
- Massage the oil into the baby’s scalp. Leave it to settle for about 30 minutes then comb the flakes off with cradle cap brush.
6. Mustela Baby Cradle Cap Cream – Newborn safe
Mustela’s Cradle Cap Cream can help eliminate or reduce the cradle cap’s severity by soothing discomfort and irritation. The cream works by limiting excess sebum on the scalp and reducing the flakes’ appearance.
- Borage Oil and Avocado Perseose.
- formulated with 95% of plant-based ingredients
- Easy to apply before bedtime,
- hypoallergenic and safe to use from birth on.
- Some parents feel like it has strong scents for their baby
How to use Mustela’s Cradle Cap Cream
Apply daily to your baby’s scalp or affected area by gently massaging lightly. You may leave the cream on the scalp overnight and rinse in the morning.
7.Hip Peas Cradle Cap Care
Hip Peas cradle cap care is a natural formula to soothe irritation and remove the cradle cap on your baby’s scalp. The formula contains natural oils, thus gentle enough for both newborns and older babies.
- olive oil, jojoba seed oil, sunflower seed oil & vitamin E.
- Soothes irritation and prevents itch
- removes cradle cap permanently in just a few days!
- Paraben, Phthalate, and Phenoxyethanol free.
- It contains soothing natural suitable for baby skin.
- Some parents find the scent to be solid and irritating
How to Use Hip Peas Cradle Cap Oil
Pour a few drops of oil on your baby’s scalp. Use a cradle cap or baby brush to massage the oil. Leave the cradle cap oil to settle for about 30 minutes or more before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
How to Use Cradle Cap Oil for the Best Results
- Apply the baby cradle cap oil to the scalp.
- Gently Massage the scalp using your fingers or a baby brush.
- Allow the cradle cap oil to settle on the scalp for a few minutes before bathing the baby.
- You may use a baby cradle cap brush like these during your baby’s bath to help remove the scale in their hair.
- Never scratch or pick at the cradle cap, which could cause an infection.
- Do not wash your baby’s hair more than necessary to avoid worsening the situation.
- Always wash off these oils after a few minutes; some could react with your baby’s scalp if left for long hours.
What is the fastest way to cure cradle cap?
- Massage cradle cap oil or natural oil like coconut into your baby’s scalp.
- Let it sit for a about 30 minutes before washing it with a mild cradle cap shampoo like these ones.
- brush off the flakes with a cradle cap brush
- Rinse rinse your baby’s scalp thoroughly with clean water.
Cradle Cap Oil is gentle, safe, and effective in removing cradle cap in babies. When used with cradle cap shampoos and brushes, these oils may help parents keep their babies’ scalps nourished, hydrated, and free of cradle cap.
Keep your baby’s scalp healthy and nourished with Cradle Cap Cleansing Oil. Try it today to see the difference it makes in your baby’s scalp health.
- Cradle Cap Brush: The Only Inexpensive Tool for Infantile Seborrheic Dermatitis In Infants
- 7 Best Cradle Cap Shampoos for Infants 2023
- Bath Time Made Easy: How To Create a Stress-Free Bath time for Your Newborn
- 15 Scary Newborn Experiences You May Encounter In the 1st Six Months After Birth
- Newborn Bath: The Ultimate Guide On How To Safely Bath a Newborn
DISCLAIMER The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. I’m not a health practitioner and as such, this information should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your professional service provider.